Skip to main content

Svensk Express 3A - a Century Old 9x12 Format Camera

This is my brother's home photographed with an advanced old box.

It looks like any old wooden box camera from too long ago to care about. But reader(s) of this blog know that the light shines brightly on the odd stuff here.

This is a multi-photo device. You load it with up to eight glass plate/negative/paper holders which are then exposed in succession before you take them out (in the dark) to develop the photographs. [Someone on Instagram called it a 'falling plate camera' or a 'detective camera'. That's something I'd like to know more about.]

On the front face of the camera is the hole for the lens (which is covered here). The wheel below is the shutter crank. The arm jutting out from it is the aperture control, which is placed in positions f/11, 14, 22 or 36.

Above you see the shutter button, top, and the exposure selector, below. You select between M ~1/60 sec. shutter speed; O which equals Bulb mode - the shutter stays open as long as you press it; and T which, with a press of the shutter button opens the shutter, until you press again to shut it.

The above photo is the first I made with the Express camera. 4 minutes f/11 @3ASA on Harman Direct Positive paper. Having used the positive paper for a bit the last months it is difficult to nail the exposures. Also older lenses are sensitive to strong light sources, resulting in halos or just bright misty areas, as can be seen in the below photo taken just after the first one.

The lens has fixed focus, and requires objects somewhere at 4 meters and beyond if you want sharp photographs.



This glass plate sat inside the camera. The photographer did a good job, I think, nailing focus, maybe at f/22. The subjects moved though.

Photographing my brother's house, for his fiftieth birthday, I loaded the film holders with Ilford 125ASA film. Exposure is much easier to nail with film!

This one's a bit cropped because I botched up the developing somewhat, creating uneven development in the emulsion. The film is so much easier than the paper to handle in editing. I aim to use the positive paper to make finished originals, but that is easier said than done. Every step of exposure and development is important and one mistake can capsize the finished photo.

Top, you can see the swinging arm that 'reloads' the camera. Inside is a spring that pushes at the film holder, to get them in position. The arm contols the release latch which disconnects the exposed (frontmost) film holder which then falls 'face' first into a compartment.

The viewfinders - there are two - are very good; large and bright (and easily accessed to be cleaned). There are two tripod mounts.

"Svensk Express 3A

Hugo Svensson & Co

Kamerafabrik

Göteborg"!


I'm glad you tagged along! Check out my Instagram. Visit the photography shop getOBphoto that I run at Etsy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram.  It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure. The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system. Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)! The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to L

A busy photographer

This photographer is now an owner of a house with all that entails. That is my focus since October and will be for some time.

Lomo-Modd-Orama

A Lomo Smena 8 camera with a faulty shutter. An Olympus Pen F camera. Part of a microscope adapter for the Pen. That's what I started out with. 45 minutes later I had a new lens! Mount The mount came off a microscope adapter. I got the adapter from my first (of two) attempts to buy an Olympus Pen F. There seem to be some unscrupolous ebay sellers around peddling useless Pens with microscope adapted prisms. Luckily - in hindsight - I got a microscope adapter with this first Pen. Which I now trashed when a Lomo Smena 8 without a future landed on my doorstep (figuratively speaking). Conversion / Havoc Smena I only knew the camera as a half-frame camera [Correction - it's a full frame camera!] called Smena 8 and hadn't thought to place it in Lomography-land until I read the name Lomo on the lens when it was already modded. Unwittingly I had tread the tiles of lomo-dom twice in as many weeks, also having put two rolls through a Praktica CX-1 which appears to be Gr