Skip to main content


A Lomo Smena 8 camera with a faulty shutter. An Olympus Pen F camera. Part of a microscope adapter for the Pen. That's what I started out with. 45 minutes later I had a new lens!

The mount came off a microscope adapter. I got the adapter from my first (of two) attempts to buy an Olympus Pen F. There seem to be some unscrupolous ebay sellers around peddling useless Pens with microscope adapted prisms. Luckily - in hindsight - I got a microscope adapter with this first Pen. Which I now trashed when a Lomo Smena 8 without a future landed on my doorstep (figuratively speaking).

Conversion / Havoc

I only knew the camera as a half-frame camera [Correction - it's a full frame camera!] called Smena 8 and hadn't thought to place it in Lomography-land until I read the name Lomo on the lens when it was already modded. Unwittingly I had tread the tiles of lomo-dom twice in as many weeks, also having put two rolls through a Praktica CX-1 which appears to be Ground Zero of Lomography (under the name tag Cosina CX-1).

The Lomo T-43 4/40 lens
The Lomo was fastened with 3 screws on the inside and the trashing of the part of the lens which houses the shutter was very easy. I just loosened all the screws I could find. (The whole modding process took 45 minutes.)

When modding like this one must have in mind too keep tab of which parts are needed to make the focusing work. On the Lomo for instance, the ring which indicates distance also has a tab which when placed correctly stops the focus from going past Infinity (and eventually the lens from falling off) or on the other end closer than one meter (and then losing infinity focus). So, when I pushed the lens with its drum into the bed of Sugru (Wow! "Bed of Sugru" - poetic!) I needed to hold the distance indicator ring in place so that it would rest in the correct position regarding focusing. And during this process checking and rechecking for focus so that the lens wasn't pushed too deep. The tab cannot be inserted after the lens in this process.

This was the first exposure I made with the Lomo T-43 on the Pen F camera...

...and this the second.

In use 

With the lenses in place - the Sugru takes a day or so to vulcanize - then comes the user experience.

I had never considered using the Smena privately. It was purchased by me to be sold after a little servicing and cleaning. But it was beyond repair, so having already done two similar conversions before, I thought "why not the Smena lens too?"

It's a good thing that the Pen "adapter" sits so snugly to the camera, because in order to attach the T-43 I had to remove the thingamajig which secures it into position with a tab. The focusing is smooth so the lens hasn't fallen off yet. (These are the kinds of little imperfections that I can live with, unlike most people.)

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to comment below or contact me at or through my Etsy shop getOurBooks.

Cameras and lenses are found in my shop at Etsy, and my photos @flashknappen at Instagram.
You can find more lens modding here and here. Gear modding is touched upon here and here.
Check out my facebook group here.


Popular posts from this blog

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram.  It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure. The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system. Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)! The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to L

Leaving a House - Departure from My Childhood Home with a Lumix GF2

My father left his house for a much smaller apartment this summer. My and my brother's families helped with some of the transition, and I documented parts of it with my Panasonic Lumix GF2. My father's house was where I grew up - from my 6th to my 19th year. He lived there for 43 years - 1979 to 2022. The light in this house was always amazing. Its situation on a western leaning hillside offers playful beams of light or reflections during every stage of the day. Little brother (me, 49), big brother (52), dad (80). Visit my  Etsy shop  for cameras and related stuff,  the  facebook group  on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram account  ourbooksmalmo .
  These great cameras show up everywhere in Europe. Flea markets, second-hand shops, car boot sales, you name it. AGFA cameras were sold for decades, in many models, much like the Kodaks. I've had the pleasure of using two of them. And I own three. The magic shutter buttons! The AGFA Compact. It's an auto exposure compact camera with manual focusing! The lens retracts when you shut the camera off. AGFA Silette LK which has full manual exposure control and a built-in light meter. The lens is super duper sharp with pleasant out-of-focus areas. It does not have a rangefinder. Nor does the... ... AGFA Optima 335 which has auto-exposure and manual focusing. The aperture numbers you see are for flash photography with 1/125th of a second fixed shutter. I will not write much about these my cameras now, but will in the future. The Compact isn't working properly, so I am in search of advice on how to repair it. It (auto-) winds the loaded film to its end, without giving me an opportu