Skip to main content

Back to Pack - My Adventures in Packfilm Part 3

This is not a proper scan.

For Christmas I was given two packs of b&w packfilm. 

Since winter has been extremely dull photography-wise I have not given it much thought until the recent days. The last week has been a hiatus from our normal work weeks since it's been the winter holiday for our daughter who goes to first grade. I set up some of her toys for a photo session when she was away at her grandmother's place.

 What's ignited my interest in photography again is a little project to do with my Polaroid 230 camera.

To be able to expose the packfilm on my own terms I decided to add an exciting lens and a shutter.

First I removed the shutter mechanism and the original lens - all housed in the lens housing/board/compartment on the front of the camera.

Secondly I tested out the placement of the lens. It is a really old Dallmeyer Popular 4' (~100 mm) f/4,5 Anastigmat Enlarger Lens that I got for 14 Euros. Lucky me - the focusing seemed spot on when I placed the lens in the rear hole of the original lens board. It only needed some sanding of the plastic casing to fit snugly.

I then loosened the bellows to add my Polaroid MP-4 shutter, which originally comes from a large format camera. I fastened the shutter to the back of the lens board/casing, then fastened the bellows to that. I used a combination of a spare metal ring from an SLR lens, superglue, Sugru rubber clay and textile reinforced tape. Very professional, I know.

So, now it works. I've made four exposures with the new combo. The photo at the top of the post isn't a scan, so does not do it justice. But what it shows is that an aperture of 5,6 is way too small to keep anything but a thin slice in focus.

When the present pack runs out I will attach my rollfilm back to the camera, via an adapter I made from an old film pack. Of course the rangefinder will not work but I've got a darkslide for the rollfilm back and a ground glass finder.

Before I try that out, I've got to add a proper tripod mount solution.

The rollfilm back was originally made for 8,5 cm wide rollfilm - not sure of the name of the type - so I've added spacers to be able to use 120 film. The first roll is a Lomochrome Metropolis.


Check out my IG and my Etsy shop!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram.  It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure. The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system. Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)! The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to L

Lomo-Modd-Orama

A Lomo Smena 8 camera with a faulty shutter. An Olympus Pen F camera. Part of a microscope adapter for the Pen. That's what I started out with. 45 minutes later I had a new lens! Mount The mount came off a microscope adapter. I got the adapter from my first (of two) attempts to buy an Olympus Pen F. There seem to be some unscrupolous ebay sellers around peddling useless Pens with microscope adapted prisms. Luckily - in hindsight - I got a microscope adapter with this first Pen. Which I now trashed when a Lomo Smena 8 without a future landed on my doorstep (figuratively speaking). Conversion / Havoc Smena I only knew the camera as a half-frame camera [Correction - it's a full frame camera!] called Smena 8 and hadn't thought to place it in Lomography-land until I read the name Lomo on the lens when it was already modded. Unwittingly I had tread the tiles of lomo-dom twice in as many weeks, also having put two rolls through a Praktica CX-1 which appears to be Gr

Yellow Tinted and Squared - Bilora Bella 44 with Rollei Dia-Positive Film

  This is what came out of an outing to see what my recently aquired Bilora Bella 44 was capable. I also tried a new (to me) film. The Bella is a 127 format camera which produces twelve 4x4 cm exposures on the 127 film. The film I tried is called Rollei Crossbird Creative, ISO/ASA 200. Under that name it is a film to be cross-processed - i e developed in colour negative chemicals even though it is a (dia) positive film. I gather that this use of the film makes the colours go all "creative". I decided to expose it as a positive film, though - mainly since I hadn't intentionally exposed any positive film before. Seeing the scans I can gather that the original film is a dia-positive film for tungsten light, since there is a strong yellow hue to the photographs even though they were exposed in strong (afternoon) sunlight. I am very happy with the way the photographs turned out and can conclude that this trial run of the Bilora Bella 44 has me wanting t