Skip to main content

New Model Barmy





I modded a lens from a very compact fixed-lens camera to my very compact Olympus Pen F. The originating camera is a (how's that for a name!) Zeiss Ikon Voigtländer Vitessa 500 AE Electronic. The lens is a Color Lanthar 42 mm 1:2.8. On the Pen, which takes half-frame pictures, the lens will show what a 63 mm lens would on a full frame 35 mm camera.
That's the insides of it. I would have loved to used it but there were several issues with it that I couldn't get my head around.
  The distance from the lens to the film plane on this camera is very short. I figured I could mount it on an M39 screw mount and use it on my X-Pro camera but there wasn't enough space. And M42 mount was out of the question since SLR:s have to leave room for that lovely mirror slapping up and down. I did try it on the Pen F and I could get focus! However the albeit differently constructed mirror was in the way. The cylinder which the lens is mounted in was protruding as to collide with the moving mirror. Well, the protruding end wasn't there for a reason anymore, once it had left the original camera body, so I sawed it off.
The rear part of the lens cylinder/mount is still in place.

Like on all my other lens mods (here and here, for instance) I had to wreck the shutter mechanism to be able to mount the lens at the correct distance to be able to focus with the new camera. The above picture shows the lens after this was done.
  The pin sticking out, with a cross-like top, is the lever that cocks the shutter. Before disassembling [sic] the shutter mechanism i had to set it to B mode and glue the shutter in place. This is to prevent the shutter blades which still are inside the lens to shut the lens permanently when it is attached to the new mount.

I bought an adapter which enables you to use Nikon lenses on a Pen F at some expense (€40), which had visible screws on both mounts. This meant that I would be able to easily unscrew the Olympus mount ring and attach it to my lens.
  The next step was to open a packet of Sugru and curl a 'snake'.
And with slight pressure I then pressed the lens in place and checked the viewfinder for focus at 1m and . I then added more Sugru to fix the arrangement. Overnight the clay had dried so the lens was ready for use after some trimming of excess Sugru.


Visit my Etsy shop for cameras and related stuff.
And the facebook group on modding lenses and cameras.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram.  It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure. The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system. Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)! The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to L

Redscale Film in a Halina 35X

  I made a Kodak Ultramax 400 ASA colour film into redscale last summer. I exposed it at 25 to 100 ASA. These are some of the photos. Visit my  Etsy shop  for cameras and related stuff,  the  facebook group  on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram accounts ourbooksmalmo or flashknappen .

Stare Crazy - a Budget Wide-Angle Lens Solution for my Olympus Pen F

I fitted a wide-angle screw-on lens for a Konica 8 Zoom super-8 camera on my Steinheil Cassarit 45 mm and my Voigtlander Color-Lanthar 42 mm. I got WIDE on my half-frame camera!   It wasn't pretty, but it did the job for sure! I've been racking my brains for years trying to come up with a low budget wide-angle solution for the Pen F, which is the SLR I use the most. I got more than I could wish for because of all the character the lens contributes to photos! The film is a Fuji Ultramax 400 which I haven't colour corrected in any way. I increased contrast. The rest is the work of the scanning program. I didn't find the Ghostbusters' garage. It's my brother's! Visit my  Etsy shop  for cameras and related stuff,  the  facebook group  on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram accounts ourbooksmalmo or flashknappen .