Skip to main content

Being Fothloose

Some time ago I connected these three items with each other. (Here.) A Foth Anastigmat lens was permanently stuck to the M42 mount ring, then screwed on to the Chinonflex TTL SLR. Now I've exposed and developed one roll and learnt some things about taking pictures with the lens.
Lesson 1: The lens is very sensitive to flare. The front glass is very exposed to light from the sides. Note to self: Get a lens hood.
Lesson 2: For some reason the aperture markings on the lens are not correct. All my pictures were under exposed. I used an external light meter. The next time I will use the TTL:s internal light meter and corroborate with the reading I get from the external one.
  The difference in aperture could be due to the age and fogging(?) of the glass. It could also be because the lens was designed for another camera altogether - and a 127-film bellows camera at that. When push comes to shove the external light meter can be at fault, though I doubt it. Note to self: Corroborate light meters. Over expose by two stops?
Lesson 3: The lens sits a tiny bit too closely fitted to the Chinonflex. That makes it come into contact with the mirror as it moves up and down. It actually stuck two times when using 1/15th of a second shutter speed. I am a bit worried to crack the mirror so will try it on my other M42 cameras. Note to self: A broken mirror means 7 years of misery.
Lesson 4: At first it was really difficult to see to focus. Now I have come to terms with that it takes a bit longer than with other lenses. And it's easier to find focus out of broad daylight.

Note to self: Keep having fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lomo-Modd-Orama

A Lomo Smena 8 camera with a faulty shutter. An Olympus Pen F camera. Part of a microscope adapter for the Pen. That's what I started out with. 45 minutes later I had a new lens!

Mount
The mount came off a microscope adapter. I got the adapter from my first (of two) attempts to buy an Olympus Pen F. There seem to be some unscrupolous ebay sellers around peddling useless Pens with microscope adapted prisms. Luckily - in hindsight - I got a microscope adapter with this first Pen. Which I now trashed when a Lomo Smena 8 without a future landed on my doorstep (figuratively speaking).



Conversion / Havoc

Smena
I only knew the camera as a half-frame camera [Correction - it's a full frame camera!] called Smena 8 and hadn't thought to place it in Lomography-land until I read the name Lomo on the lens when it was already modded. Unwittingly I had tread the tiles of lomo-dom twice in as many weeks, also having put two rolls through a Praktica CX-1 which appears to be Ground Zero of Lo…

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram. 

It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure.

The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system.

Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)!





The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to LTM sys…

Yellow Tinted and Squared - Bilora Bella 44 with Rollei Dia-Positive Film

This is what came out of an outing to see what my recently aquired Bilora Bella 44 was capable. I also tried a new (to me) film.



The Bella is a 127 format camera which produces twelve 4x4 cm exposures on the 127 film. The film I tried is called Rollei Crossbird Creative, ISO/ASA 200. Under that name it is a film to be cross-processed - i e developed in colour negative chemicals even though it is a (dia) positive film. I gather that this use of the film makes the colours go all "creative".


I decided to expose it as a positive film, though - mainly since I hadn't intentionally exposed any positive film before.


Seeing the scans I can gather that the original film is a dia-positive film for tungsten light, since there is a strong yellow hue to the photographs even though they were exposed in strong (afternoon) sunlight.


I am very happy with the way the photographs turned out and can conclude that this trial run of the Bilora Bella 44 has me wanting to use it more.



Thanks for visi…