Skip to main content

Breaking and Entering


I found a camera in an antiques shop a while ago. It was a very simple one-setting TLR 620-film camera called Kodak Duoflex. That film type is not sold anymore, but I figured I could load it anyway - it looked like the film spools had the same size as 120 film ones. And I was right! When I sat on the train station to google the camera i found out that yes, the film type is obsolete; but also that it is the exact same film as the 120 format, though the spools are different. So a 620 roll wouldn't fit a 120 camera and the other way around.
  Some more googling with diy-spirit found lots of advice how to file down spools or re-spool 120 film.
When I got home I pondered som more then put the camera with a 620 take up spool and a 120 film in my dark bag and did some breaking, then loaded the film.
  I broke the too-big-for-620 spool 'caps' off the 120 film in the dark and loaded into the camera - and it fit; and worked fine. When the film was exposed the 12 pictures were on the 620 take up spool so I developed them as usual - in caffenol.


It works great as a snapshot camera. However using it made me realise I want to use my Seagull TLR - with a lot more control; shutter, exposure, focus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lomo-Modd-Orama

A Lomo Smena 8 camera with a faulty shutter. An Olympus Pen F camera. Part of a microscope adapter for the Pen. That's what I started out with. 45 minutes later I had a new lens!

Mount
The mount came off a microscope adapter. I got the adapter from my first (of two) attempts to buy an Olympus Pen F. There seem to be some unscrupolous ebay sellers around peddling useless Pens with microscope adapted prisms. Luckily - in hindsight - I got a microscope adapter with this first Pen. Which I now trashed when a Lomo Smena 8 without a future landed on my doorstep (figuratively speaking).



Conversion / Havoc

Smena
I only knew the camera as a half-frame camera [Correction - it's a full frame camera!] called Smena 8 and hadn't thought to place it in Lomography-land until I read the name Lomo on the lens when it was already modded. Unwittingly I had tread the tiles of lomo-dom twice in as many weeks, also having put two rolls through a Praktica CX-1 which appears to be Ground Zero of Lo…

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram. 

It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure.

The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system.

Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)!





The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to LTM sys…

Yellow Tinted and Squared - Bilora Bella 44 with Rollei Dia-Positive Film

This is what came out of an outing to see what my recently aquired Bilora Bella 44 was capable. I also tried a new (to me) film.



The Bella is a 127 format camera which produces twelve 4x4 cm exposures on the 127 film. The film I tried is called Rollei Crossbird Creative, ISO/ASA 200. Under that name it is a film to be cross-processed - i e developed in colour negative chemicals even though it is a (dia) positive film. I gather that this use of the film makes the colours go all "creative".


I decided to expose it as a positive film, though - mainly since I hadn't intentionally exposed any positive film before.


Seeing the scans I can gather that the original film is a dia-positive film for tungsten light, since there is a strong yellow hue to the photographs even though they were exposed in strong (afternoon) sunlight.


I am very happy with the way the photographs turned out and can conclude that this trial run of the Bilora Bella 44 has me wanting to use it more.



Thanks for visi…