Skip to main content

Four by Four Find - Ektachrome 64 in Caffenol

Hey, if I put it through caffenol, then that's a bunch of cheap film for an expensive system.

I got hold of some rolls of expired (1984) Kodak Ektachrome 64 for the 127 film system. That is a colour slide film from way back when, which shares its fate with loads of other photography (and the 127 format) in that it is based on technology which is available no more. There's no developing chemicals for the 64.
The rolls came as a bonus with other rolls of film that I'd actually paid for, so I didn't have to think twice before I decided to give the 64 a caffenol bath and see how it came out in black and white.
I exposed the film through my Yashica 44 yesterday and this morning, on my way to and from work, and mixed a new caffenol developer just before dinner. Below are the 12 photos from the roll - the entire roll. See for yourself if you think the idea was any good.

I have edited for more contrast on most of the photos.

The black blotches on this and the horse photo are from the strip of paper which held the roll closed and which accidentally ended up inside the camera.

The film turns out a bit grainy, but not overtly. And contrasts are not strong, maybe on the weak side. I like them stronger. But that is no big issue if you do some post-processing.

[June 22nd 2020: I wanted to add some facts to the original post: I exposed the photos at 12 ASA, thereby adding two stops of light to the original 64 ASA sensitivity. I read somewhere that if you wanted to develop positive film in negative chemistry that was what you are supposed to do to compensate for the transition. It means I didn't add one stop per decade since the expiry date which seems to be the rule of thumb accepted for negative film. In this particular case my approach seem to have worked very well.
The film actually comes out as a negative when developed as b&w. I hadn't thought it would, but that's rather a telltale sign of my haphazard research. At least that's what happens when I develop it in caffenol.
I also wanted to add one more detail. The Ektachrome 64 film has a 'remjet' backing which was physically removed in the darkroom during development when the original technique was used. When developed in caffenol the remjet seems to dissolve entirely. I read this somewhere, and I have no reason to doubt this, since my negatives came out clear and without any fogging or traces of remjet. Nor did my developer fluid contain flakes or lumps of remjet backing.]

Thanks for exploring with me! Don't hesitate to comment or check out my Instagram at #ourbooksmalmo. Visit my Etsy shop getOurBooks where you can find my vintage cameras and nice photography equipment. Again I want to remind that if you feel inclined to contribute to this blog with material in the same vein, don't hesitate to contact me.


Popular posts from this blog

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram.  It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure. The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system. Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)! The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to L

Leaving a House - Departure from My Childhood Home with a Lumix GF2

My father left his house for a much smaller apartment this summer. My and my brother's families helped with some of the transition, and I documented parts of it with my Panasonic Lumix GF2. My father's house was where I grew up - from my 6th to my 19th year. He lived there for 43 years - 1979 to 2022. The light in this house was always amazing. Its situation on a western leaning hillside offers playful beams of light or reflections during every stage of the day. Little brother (me, 49), big brother (52), dad (80). Visit my  Etsy shop  for cameras and related stuff,  the  facebook group  on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram account  ourbooksmalmo .
  These great cameras show up everywhere in Europe. Flea markets, second-hand shops, car boot sales, you name it. AGFA cameras were sold for decades, in many models, much like the Kodaks. I've had the pleasure of using two of them. And I own three. The magic shutter buttons! The AGFA Compact. It's an auto exposure compact camera with manual focusing! The lens retracts when you shut the camera off. AGFA Silette LK which has full manual exposure control and a built-in light meter. The lens is super duper sharp with pleasant out-of-focus areas. It does not have a rangefinder. Nor does the... ... AGFA Optima 335 which has auto-exposure and manual focusing. The aperture numbers you see are for flash photography with 1/125th of a second fixed shutter. I will not write much about these my cameras now, but will in the future. The Compact isn't working properly, so I am in search of advice on how to repair it. It (auto-) winds the loaded film to its end, without giving me an opportu