Skip to main content

Overlapping Interests - Kodak Instamatic 500 with AGFA ASP 400S


The film in question is 35 mm unsprocketed intended for traffic surveillance. 

I've modded my Kodak Instamatic 500 to accept unsprocketed film in the 126 cassettes. This was done by cutting off the feeler peg that usually finds each sprocketed exposure on the original films. It's my second time exposing non-native film in a Insta 500 and the results are similar - overlapping frames. But the results were not so bad.


Well, it depends on your intentions.


I wanted to see if I could use the unsprocketed film in the 126 cassettes. And that I could. I just have to advance the film twice for each exposure, to not end up with overlapping exposures. And in the process expose the first of those in the palm of my hand or something.


 The lens is just wonderful! Its so sharp! Actually I have modded one to fit my M39 mount cameras.


One bonus feature which occured when I cut off the sprocket feeler peg was that the camera is 'ready' to expose after each wind. Normally an Instamatic is wound until you see the no. 1 marking on the backing paper, because that's where the first sprocket is situated (as in the 110 film cassettes). Now I can load the cassette with more film and place the film earlier in the cassette/fasten it on the backing paper.



Here you can see the exposure latitude of the film. It is marketed to have an extreme latitude, needed to spot details in any situation in traffic surveillance.



Welcome to my Instagram ourbooksmalmo and my Etsy shop gOBphoto, which is filled with old cameras and their accessories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lomo-Modd-Orama

A Lomo Smena 8 camera with a faulty shutter. An Olympus Pen F camera. Part of a microscope adapter for the Pen. That's what I started out with. 45 minutes later I had a new lens!

Mount
The mount came off a microscope adapter. I got the adapter from my first (of two) attempts to buy an Olympus Pen F. There seem to be some unscrupolous ebay sellers around peddling useless Pens with microscope adapted prisms. Luckily - in hindsight - I got a microscope adapter with this first Pen. Which I now trashed when a Lomo Smena 8 without a future landed on my doorstep (figuratively speaking).



Conversion / Havoc

Smena
I only knew the camera as a half-frame camera [Correction - it's a full frame camera!] called Smena 8 and hadn't thought to place it in Lomography-land until I read the name Lomo on the lens when it was already modded. Unwittingly I had tread the tiles of lomo-dom twice in as many weeks, also having put two rolls through a Praktica CX-1 which appears to be Ground Zero of Lo…

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram. 

It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure.

The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system.

Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)!





The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to LTM sys…

Yellow Tinted and Squared - Bilora Bella 44 with Rollei Dia-Positive Film

This is what came out of an outing to see what my recently aquired Bilora Bella 44 was capable. I also tried a new (to me) film.



The Bella is a 127 format camera which produces twelve 4x4 cm exposures on the 127 film. The film I tried is called Rollei Crossbird Creative, ISO/ASA 200. Under that name it is a film to be cross-processed - i e developed in colour negative chemicals even though it is a (dia) positive film. I gather that this use of the film makes the colours go all "creative".


I decided to expose it as a positive film, though - mainly since I hadn't intentionally exposed any positive film before.


Seeing the scans I can gather that the original film is a dia-positive film for tungsten light, since there is a strong yellow hue to the photographs even though they were exposed in strong (afternoon) sunlight.


I am very happy with the way the photographs turned out and can conclude that this trial run of the Bilora Bella 44 has me wanting to use it more.



Thanks for visi…