Skip to main content

Fifty plus Summer

I've been trying out an old auto-exposure camera. It's the Olympus-35 LE (mentioned in this post) from 1965. Since I like the camera I wanted to see if it still works within a tolerable range of error. The lens is supposed to be high-class and it shares it with the 35 LC, which was a manual operation version of the camera. The light metering - hence exposure control - is powered by a 4,5v current, which was a bit fiddly to accomplish to begin with. Once I got that in place the metering works, as is evident if I push the battery-check button, and also from checking the exposure times and aperture in several different light conditions. Once the film was loaded I had no way of knowing if whether exposure was near correct or not. The shutter being awfully quiet made me even more nervous about the camera exposing at all, but it did. So, one conclusion is that it's a good camera for discreet photograpers.

I figured summer days and evenings to be good conditions to try it out.

Then I brought out my X-Pro1. - No, I didn't. This is what the  LE could do. Not much 'information' in the darker areas, but great picture I think. Exactly what I wanted when taking the picture.

Here is another X-Pro-LE picture. The film was ISO 200, but set to ISO 75 on the camera (me anticipating failing technology and also wanting to overexpose the film for more texture). From the 'information' I can see in the dark areas of the scanned pictures my conclusion is that the LE exposes a couple of aperture stops less than it would ideally do. And considering the quality of the lens, even these darker pictures could be better.


Daytime pictures. Both very nice, I think. Focusing was difficult in the bright light. Practice is the key.

Evening again, as below.

One final image. And final comment: I am pleased with giving this camera a second chance. Having declared it deceased upon reception almost a year ago I recently gave it a go by searching for info on it on the web. I was slightly dismayed by how the majority of info was about the LC which appears to be a great camera. The LE being full-auto has not been my cup of tea being a manual (total) control person when it comes to exposure. The LE experience this summer had me briefly revisiting my disposable camera-days. With nine acceptable pictures out of 18 proper exposures on a roll of 24 pictures, I would say that this chunk of Olympus gives me enough pleasure to want to come back to it occasionally. (Will try faster film and "slower" ISO in future.)


Popular posts from this blog

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram.  It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure. The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system. Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)! The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to L

Leaving a House - Departure from My Childhood Home with a Lumix GF2

My father left his house for a much smaller apartment this summer. My and my brother's families helped with some of the transition, and I documented parts of it with my Panasonic Lumix GF2. My father's house was where I grew up - from my 6th to my 19th year. He lived there for 43 years - 1979 to 2022. The light in this house was always amazing. Its situation on a western leaning hillside offers playful beams of light or reflections during every stage of the day. Little brother (me, 49), big brother (52), dad (80). Visit my  Etsy shop  for cameras and related stuff,  the  facebook group  on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram account  ourbooksmalmo .


A Lomo Smena 8 camera with a faulty shutter. An Olympus Pen F camera. Part of a microscope adapter for the Pen. That's what I started out with. 45 minutes later I had a new lens! Mount The mount came off a microscope adapter. I got the adapter from my first (of two) attempts to buy an Olympus Pen F. There seem to be some unscrupolous ebay sellers around peddling useless Pens with microscope adapted prisms. Luckily - in hindsight - I got a microscope adapter with this first Pen. Which I now trashed when a Lomo Smena 8 without a future landed on my doorstep (figuratively speaking). Conversion / Havoc Smena I only knew the camera as a half-frame camera [Correction - it's a full frame camera!] called Smena 8 and hadn't thought to place it in Lomography-land until I read the name Lomo on the lens when it was already modded. Unwittingly I had tread the tiles of lomo-dom twice in as many weeks, also having put two rolls through a Praktica CX-1 which appears to be Gr