Skip to main content

Sharp as Knives - a Polaroid Land 80A Converted for 120 Film

Some time ago I modded a Polaroid 80A to make me able to use it with 120 film. My main reasons for doing so were: 1) I wanted to use the camera even though it had an obsolete film format, giving it a new life, and: 2) it is a very advanced camera for what you pay for (nowadays).

This is the top third of an exposure, edited because of a double-exposure.

The first photo in this post is one of the first successful exposures I made with the camera. There were three unsuccessful rolls before that, since I used a method of film transport that didn't work (see this post).

A third of a neg, cut because of double exposure. Kodak Portra 400.

Initially I didn't have a display window for the exposure counting (which displays the number of photos on the backing paper of the film) so wound on by approximation. Eventually I drilled a hole on the back of the camera to be able to see the numbers and to economize film. There are five (5) layers of metal to breach to make that hole!

 

 

This one was wildly overexposed. I rendered it in b&w to make it look nicer.


The same with this one.


And this one. The recent four are Ektachrome 64 cross-processed in C-41.

 

My winding issues didn't stop there, though. By some leap of imagination I'd settled for drilling a hole displaying the numbering for those exposing 4,5x6 cm photos, not 9x6, which is what this camera does. It took me two rolls to aquaint me with the issue and remembering to compensate for it by winding that extra bit not to get double-exposures. (Though some of those are rather nice-looking.)

Above is an almost successful full-frame exposure, with some double-exposure issue to the left. 

Actually, the lens turns out to be the biggest surprise of this €30 camera: It has sharp and evenly distributed focus, even in the corners. I wanted a lens (as I always do) with interesting bokeh/out-of-focus characteristics. I think I got that in the deal, along with a high quality lens.

Another two - beautifully rendered - double-exposure disturbed crops of photos.

The exposure above is the first non-double exposure - and the last one on roll #2 after I'd made the frame-counter window. It depicts my then half-finished allotment, where I'll be growing vegetables this season.

Below you can see the best photo from a roll without unintended double-exposures. I am very happy with the outcome!

I wish that this post has taught you some things: Act before you think; do rather than don't; and have fun while doing it!


Visit my Etsy shop for cameras and related stuff, the facebook group on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram account ourbooksmalmo.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chaika Leica

Well, here's a Chaika 2M that I bought from Alex Helios via Instagram.  It's a great full manual viewfinder half-frame camera. The wheel on the top is for shutter time selection, from B to 1/30th to 1/250th of a second. The square button on the front right of the camera is the release/exposure. The lens mounted on the camera in the picture is not the original Industar-69. The Chaika is a rare model compact camera since the prime lens is detachable. What is more is that it has M39 screw mount. But - like with the Paxette M39 system - you can't get focus with a lens from another M39 system. Unless you adapt the lens or - in this case - the camera (mount)! The Chaika mount is easily detached from the body by loosening four screws. If I want to mount the Leica thread mount M39 (LTM) lenses on the Chaika - which is my goal with this mod - I have to add 1.3mm to the mount. That is what is needed to change the camera's flange focal distance (FFD) from Chaika system to L

Redscale Film in a Halina 35X

  I made a Kodak Ultramax 400 ASA colour film into redscale last summer. I exposed it at 25 to 100 ASA. These are some of the photos. Visit my  Etsy shop  for cameras and related stuff,  the  facebook group  on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram accounts ourbooksmalmo or flashknappen .

Stare Crazy - a Budget Wide-Angle Lens Solution for my Olympus Pen F

I fitted a wide-angle screw-on lens for a Konica 8 Zoom super-8 camera on my Steinheil Cassarit 45 mm and my Voigtlander Color-Lanthar 42 mm. I got WIDE on my half-frame camera!   It wasn't pretty, but it did the job for sure! I've been racking my brains for years trying to come up with a low budget wide-angle solution for the Pen F, which is the SLR I use the most. I got more than I could wish for because of all the character the lens contributes to photos! The film is a Fuji Ultramax 400 which I haven't colour corrected in any way. I increased contrast. The rest is the work of the scanning program. I didn't find the Ghostbusters' garage. It's my brother's! Visit my  Etsy shop  for cameras and related stuff,  the  facebook group  on modding lenses and cameras or my Instagram accounts ourbooksmalmo or flashknappen .